Friday, March 22, 2013

Distractions

I yelled at my phone this afternoon, right as Delton yelled at the computer. I had to laugh. This wonderful thing we call technology is not always a blessing. Rhoda recently sent me some thoughts on the subject, and I am sure we can all relate! ~Charity

From Rhoda...
 
 
Sisters in the journey,

I am responding to an earlier email from Renee Swope...

I checked my email as soon as I woke up. Then I made breakfast and checked it again. Had my devotional time and checked it again. Ran some errands and checked it on my phone. When I got home, I checked it once more.

I sensed the Holy Spirit nudging me to pause and ask myself, “Why do you keep checking your email?”

I wasn’t sure if it was God or me answering, but my thoughts intertwined with His Spirit whispered: You keep coming back because your heart longs for connection with a friend.

Yet no matter how many times I checked email, it was never enough to satisfy my craving....

..... I realized I’d let the pendulum swing too far and now I was checking email repeatedly, trying to fill a God-created need for relationships with a white screen and black alphabet keys.

My mind keeps remembering these words from Renee Swope as it keeps speaking to my heart as I navigate a life filled with "electronic sirens" calling for my attention (namely email, facebook, text and internet ). These tools keep me connected with grandchildren, friends, prayer requests and good Bible teachers; but how do I keep a balance in my life with real relationships? I am pressing in to being more sensitive to God's nudging on how to live this out.

Rhoda

~~~~~~~~~~~
A week or so ago, Amy sent me this email in response to my last post. It flows along with Rhoda's comments...

Charity, I too have days when I don't feel God as near and others where His presence just envelops me as I go about my daily routine. Some of that may have to do with my human ness and the fickleness of our emotions, hormones, etc. :) But I find, a big part of it for me, is with what I am saturating my mind. My thoughts, values, priorities, self esteem, joy, and peace are SO much determined by how much time I spend with God. I recently saw this quote....
Photo: My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me; and I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish; and no one will snatch them out of My hand. My Father, who has given them to Me, is
 greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand. ~ John:27-29 (NASB)

https://www.facebook.com/TruthforWomen
and it really spoke to me.... I spent such a large part of my life being manipulated by the Devil and his lies and I didn't even recognize them. But now, if I find myself feeling confused, condemned, rushed, pushed, etc. I cry out to God and (in my mind) rebuke the devil, because I am NOT falling for his lies again.
I heard a sermon recently in which the evangelist said something to the effect of..... did you know the devil doesn't necesssarily hate us? The reason he is out for our damnation is because it is his (the devil's) best way to get at God, because we are what God loves the most! We are God's prize possession and the Devil is desperate to take us from God - by lying, maniputing, causing division, and on and on and on and on......
looking forward to seeing you sunday :), amy

~~~~~~
Prioritizing my time has been on my mind lately. Very simply, I sense a simple directive to seek God first. For me, this means reading my Bible and praying before anything else gets done in my quiet time. Before I check my schedule, read a blog, check facebook, respond to emails, call my mom or any other good thing, I first need to open my Bible and take time to talk to God. This is a unique season of life for me...I may only have a few minutes uninterrupted each day. If I don't first seek God, the moment is gone and so is my chance to be refreshed in my spirit. In another season, I may have hours of quiet where it may not matter whether my time with God comes first, second or third. Just a simple way that God is telling me that my time with Him is important to Him, and He is giving me the direction I need to make time with Him happen! Blessing to you today!! See you Sunday! ~Charity

No comments:

Post a Comment